Saturday 2 February 2013

See You Thursday by Jean Ure




When Mrs. Fenton tells her sixteen-year-old daughter, Marianne, that she's rented the upstairs room to a blind man, feisty and independent Marianne wants no part of him.  But when Abe turns out to be a young, attractive musician, Marianne gladly goes out of her way to help him cook and shop, and he in turn gives her piano lessons. 

As they come to know and understand each other, Marianne learns what it's like to fall in love for the first time. Suddenly she's the center of attention among her classmates. But her mother, fearing Abe and Marianne's closeness, announces a plan that forces Marianne into a crucial choice between those she loves. 

--------------------------------------------------

This is my all time favourite book from my teenage years. I first picked it up at my local library and it must be at least fifteen years ago now. I was hooked instantly. I remember giggling to myself as I read, in the way that school girls do, as I watched the friendship develop between Marianne and Abe. Oh how I loved Abe all those years ago, he was everything I wanted in a friend and more. 

I was lucky enough to find a hardback copy of the book on amazon for one penny and jumped at the chance to buy it. It is in wonderful condition especially considering it came out in 1981. It hasn't aged badly although some of the language can be quite old fashioned such as the main character referring to herself as one, eg. one doesn't do such things... The only other detail that ages the book is when Marianne is flicking through the television channels. All three of them! this is obviously something that many kids today would find hard to imagine. 

The book is very descriptive and this really helps the reader to understand Abe. It also makes you look at the world around you with different eyes. Marianne often describes items that previously she had never taken note of, but suddenly, due to Abe's inability to see them become items of great importance and worth a closer look.  I enjoyed this element of the book as it gave me time to ponder the world from a different view point. 

The characters were both very well written. The fact that one of the main characters was blind is something I had never come across before. Also I can honestly say I have read nothing similar since. It really added a different dimension to the story that takes it far beyond the confines to teen romance. I enjoyed the fact that neither were perfect and both had flaws. It made the story much more real and believable. I still think Abe is a wonderful character even after all these years, although I refrained from the giggles I experienced as a teenager this time around. 

I highly recommend this book. It is out of print now but if you ever have the opportunity to buy a copy I beg you to do so. It is sweet romance and well worth the read.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.  
It is a wonderful book and I enjoyed it as much today as I did as a teenager. It's a fantastic story and Abe is utterly delightful.       

No comments:

Post a Comment