Monday 18 February 2013

My Secret Diary - Dates, Dancing, Dreams and Dilemas by Jacqueline Wilson

In 1960, you'd wear stiff petticoats and dancing shoes. Now, you'd wear jeans and trainers. 

In 1960, you'd spend hours listening to records in your local store. Now you'd hours listening to music online. 

In 1960, you'd learn all the steps to the latest dances. Now, you just make up your own moves. 

But girls always have and always will have crushes on boys, argue with their parents, get embarrassed at school, want to stay out with their friends, and spend hours fixing their hair. 

---------------------------------------- 

My guilty pleasure is Jacqueline Wilson.  I love settling down to one of her stories when I'm feeling a bit down or unwell. This week I have been battling some kind of chest infection and so it was the perfect time to grab 'My Secret Diary' off the shelves. I'd already read and thoroughly enjoyed the first installment of the series which covers Jacqueline Wilson's life from birth through to eleven. This book moves on from where the previous book ended and explores her teenage years. 

It was a great book. I loved learning about Wilson's life in the 1960s. It was honestly like a different world back then. Life seems slower and most definitely safer. However I'm sure that is partly to do with the author picking the elements in her book carefully, especially as it is aimed at children. I found it fun to read even as an adult and I really enjoyed the whole thing. 

I found the highlight of the book to be the fact that Jacqueline Wilson used her own childhood diary entries throughout. It gave the book a really authentic voice and you could hear her childhood thoughts and views clearly. I think this is something which is often lost when people discuss their childhood years in autobiographies. Through no fault of their own, the adult in them cannot fail to analyze the time and situation they are discussing, using knowledge that only comes with age. By including her old diaries Wilson successfully brought in the clear, innocent and unaffected ideals of her childhood. I found this very refreshing and loved the way it formed the narrative of the book. 

Even though it is aimed at children don't let it put you off. I really liked it and found the writing imaginative and inventive, while the story was very interesting. It can be read in an afternoon or as I mentioned above, when you are in need of a bit of a pick me up. I'm looking forward to the next installment which will lead Wilson into her adult life and I'm sure it will prove to be just as intriguing as 'My Secret Diary'. 

I rate this book  5 out of 5 stars. 
It was a wonderful book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Wilson painted a clear and vibrant picture of teenage life during the 1960s. The Diary entries from her childhood gave the book added depth and really engaged me as a reader. A great book for both adults and children alike.  

No comments:

Post a Comment