Sunday 17 February 2013

Home and Away - The Frank Morgan Story by Elizabeth Coleman

The Home and Away TV show is one of the most successful 'soaps' ever to hit the screens and, as a prequel to the television saga, this book tells the story of of of the series' main characters, Frank Morgan. Tearaway Frank is taken in by foster parents Tom and Pippa Fletcher after having become a bank robber at the age of eight!

------------------------------------------

I read this book for a bit of fun. It is based on a television soap I watched as child. Although the character is a little before my time as his character was older when I first watched it. I saw it in a charity shop and decided to reminisce about the show in general. It follows the story of Frank Morgan on the eve of his wedding, we get to see Frank as he considers his life and the events that have lead him to this moment. 

I won't lie it wasn't exactly a thrilling read. It was exactly what I expected in that it was a television tie-in with the main draw being the inclusion of the characters from the show. I enjoyed it for what it was, a simple story which provided more background to a character which I knew little about. If you are after a deep, intensive and long literary read then this book is not for you. However if you just want a quick book to read in one sitting, which has an interesting plot then this is a good book for doing that. 

I rate this book 2 out of 5 stars.
It was okay and exactly what I expected. I read it in one sitting and it was a bit of light relief after reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, which are two very emotionally charged books. It's great for anyone who remembers watching Home and Away in the 80s and 90s.  

No comments:

Post a Comment