Tuesday 13 November 2012

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte



 
 
As the new tenants of Wildfell Hall, beautiful, reclusive Helen Graham and her young son find themselves the objects of gossips and scandal.
 
Gilbert Markham has formed a deep attachment to Helen. He does everything in his power to staunch the rumours that she is an immoral woman with a past she needs to conceal; but he himself does not know the truth.
 
Gradually coming to trust Gilbert, Helen reveals her past life to him: a miserable marriage in which she was tormented by her adulterous, drunken husband, Huntingdon, who mocked her religion and tried to corrupt their child. But despite her bid for independence, Helen is still in Huntingdon's power, and only death can end her terror.
 
A novel of surprising modernity, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall shocked Anne Bronte's Contemporaries in its outspoken treatment of the issue of women's equality and it is unforgettable for its passionate sincerity and psychological honesty.
 
-----------------------------------------------
 
This book was wonderfully written. I found myself lost within the language and transported to a different era. The characters pulled at my heartstrings and I felt their pain, sorrow, happiness, disgust and relief as the story unfolded. Do not be put off by the labelling of this book as a classic, it is still easy to read and understand, and the language used is not difficult to adapt too.
 
I read it over a few days and found the story captivating. I loved Gilbert and felt his pain and worry throughout. I positively despised Huntingdon on many occasion while at others I felt sorry for him and wished things could be different in much the same way that Helen did. The characters really make this story come alive due to their depth and the painstaking detail that has gone into them.
 
I can't recommend this book enough. I loved it. I laughed, cried and sulked over certain parts and really enjoyed the entire thing. The first 200 pages went by in a heartbeat and the fast pace continued until the very last page. However I never felt that my reading was hurried, in fact it was the opposite, I felt as if I entered into the 1800s and everything was at a relaxing pace. It's the perfect book for cold winter evenings with a hot drink and a blanket.
 
I give this book 5 out of 5 stars.
It was breathtaking and I will no doubt read this book again.

No comments:

Post a Comment