Friday 23 November 2012

Fragment Friday

The Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie

'It was the short man who was holding me. He forced a gag into my mouth , and then bound me with rope hand and foot. The other man was standing over my husband. He had caught up my little dagger paper-knife from the dressing table and was holding it with the point just over his heart. When the short man had finished with me, he joined the other, and they forced my husband to get up and accompany them into the dressing-room next door. I was nearly fainting with terror, nevertheless I listened desperately. 

'They were speaking in too low a tone for me to hear what they said. But I recognized the language, a bastard Spanish such as is spoken in some parts of South America. They seemed to be demanding something from my husband, and presently they grew angry, and their voices rose a little. I think the tall man was speaking. "You know what we want?" I do not know what my husband answered, but the other replied fiercely. "You lie! We know you have it. Where are your keys?"

No comments:

Post a Comment