Monday 11 March 2013

Willow by Julia Hoban




Seven months ago on a rainy March night, Willow's parents drank too much at dinner and asked her to drive them home. But they never made it - Willow lost control of the car, and both of her parents were killed. Now the only way she knows how to survive and control the pain is by secretly cutting herself. But when Willow meets Guy, a boy as sensitive and complicated as she is, she finds it hard to keep the secret that's written all over her body. 

--------------------------------------------- 

This is the story of a young girl not only coping with the loss of her parents but also with the fact that they died due to her driving skills. It was addictive read which I read in two days even though I was also working. It was a book that I was unable to put down, I became desperate to find out how Willow would inevitably cope by the end of the book; would she thrive or continue her downward spiral? 

Willow is a character that is at her lowest point in life. Having in her eyes 'killed' her parents, her life has been shattered. Even more troubling to her is that the life of her older brother has also changed because he became her legal guardian after their parents death. Instead of enjoying the experience of parenting his own new baby he is also expected to take up where his parents left off with Willow.  

The book had a fast pace and the story was very interesting. I enjoyed the relationship between Willow and Guy. It was during the time they spent together that I saw hope for Willow and this kept me reading. The relationship between Willow and her brother was thwart with guilt, sadness, misunderstanding and pain but it was a vital part to the book. Overall it was a great book and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars
I really liked the book. It was an intriguing plot and the characters captured my heart. A great read.

No comments:

Post a Comment