Monday 4 March 2013

Jamaica Inn by Daphne Du Maurier



Stark and forbidding, Jamaica Inn stands alone on bleak Bodmin Moor, its very walls tainted with corruption. Young Mary Yellan soon learns of her uncle Joss Merlyn's strange trade here - but does he deal in blacker secrets still?

As her suspicions and her terror increase, she looks in vain for help from the fearful Cornish people. Only in the Vicar of Altarnun does she find a friend - and in the oddly likeable horse-thief hey call the worst Marlyn of them all...

And, as the drama in this famous gothic masterpiece heightens, Mary must choose which to trust. 

------------------------------------------------------------- 

Jamaica  Inn is a wonderful book. I found that I was instantly drawn into the tale of Mary Yellan and the story had me hooked from the first page. It is a book that is simply oozing description and this allows the reader to be fully transported into the adventure. I felt the bite of the cold, harsh weather and the isolation of the Inn as if I were stood beside Mary herself. 

The characters were all written very well. I liked the fact that Joss Merlyn  didn't have one redeeming quality. Usually with such evil characters they always have one element which makes you feel the need to understand or even excuse their actions. However Joss was always nasty and cruel, I didn't like him throughout the book. That is in sharp contrast to his brother Jem whom I loved. Jem was very much the artful dodger of this book;  his rough appearance and often criminal activities were softened by his cheeky chappy persona. Jem was a pleasure to read, I really enjoyed his down to earth, straight to the point attitude.  Mary did annoy me at times, for all her strong, independent and Godly wisdom she could be very blind at times and failed to listen to her own instincts and upbringing in regards to what was right and wrong. However I could understand her inner conflict and this made her a very intriguing character. 

The pace of the story was fast and I enjoyed that. It would be a fun book to read in one or two sittings. Don't be fooled into thinking it is a book with little or no action as that is not the case. The mystery surrounding Mary's uncle provides for many threatening, dangerous and action pack moments.  At times the suspense was overpowering and made reading further a must even at the most inconvenient moments. 

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. 
This books was well written, wonderfully descriptive and a pleasure to read. I can't believe it took me so long to get around to it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment