Thursday 18 July 2013

Book Haul!









My birthday came and went with excitement and wonder. I love having a reason to splurge on books and I did just that. However I didn't break the bank. I only bought a few books at full price, the rest were bargains or second hand. The classics you see were all £2 each! The same goes for the large hardback underneath them.  I have already powered my way through The Devil Wears Prada by  Lauren Weisberger  and will have a review up in the next couple of days. Here is a breakdown of the books I bought.

Gifts

Les Miserables Volume 1 by Victor Hugo - second hand (Amazon) - 1p + £2.80 p&p
Les Miserables Volume 2 by Victor Hugo - second hand (Amazon) - 1p + £2.80 p&p
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D H Lawerence - second hand (Amazon) - 1p + £2.80 p&p
The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen - half price (Amazon)


Second hand

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer - £1
Ooh! What a Lovely Pair: Our Story by Ant McPartlin and Declan Donnelly - £1.50
Dreams From My Father by Barack Obama - £1.50

Bargain New Books

Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert - £2
Thirty-Nine Steps - John Buchan - £2
The Idiot - Fyodor Dostoevsky - £2
Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy - £2
Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte - £2
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins - £2
This is all - Aidan Chambers - £2

Full Price Books

If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch - £9.99
Cinder by Marissa Meyer - £6.99
Vanguard Legacy: Foretold by Joanne Kershaw - £5

So excluding the books I received as gifts I spent a grand total of £39.98 for 12 books.  That's a great saving, especially considering that the Ant and Dec hardback goes for £15.99 new.  If you're wondering why I am happy to receive second hand books as birthday gifts the reason is, I read fast. Therefore I can't warrant spending a large amount on books which I will probably read in a couple of days and may only read once. For example Cinder retails at £6.99 which is fun as an occasional splurge, however I could buy 3 books for the same money and prefer to do that as often as possible. This is why my full price list is far smaller than my cheaper alternative lists. Besides I enjoy the books all the more knowing I haven't broken the bank.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment